How do we record adoption or foster families?
GEDCOM 5.5.1 requires for an adoption the following structure:
0 @I57@ INDI 1 NAME ... ... 1 FAMC @F1@ <pointer to natural parents> 1 FAMC @F2@ <pointer to adopting parents> 2 PEDI adopted <[ adopted | birth | foster | sealing ]> 1) 1 ADOP 2 FAMC @F2@ 3 ADOP BOTH <[ BOTH | HUSB | WIFE ] <who adopted> ...
1) controls which parents (natural or adopting) are shown in the family tree
- on the adoptee INDI: → 'Individual' → 'Add parents' creates (further) parents (e.g. family F2)
- on the pointer '1 FAMC @F2@': →'Add property' → 'Pedigree (PEDI)' and select the proper value, e.g. 'adopted'.
- on the adoptee INDI again: → 'Add property' → 'Adoption (ADOP)'.
- on this property '1 ADOP': → 'Property 'Adoption'' → 'Add family (child in family)' and select in the Family Selector the proper family, e.g. F2.
- on this pointer '2 FAMC @F2@': → 'Add property' → 'Adoption (ADOP)' and select e.g. BOTH.
How these families can be shown in the pedigree see Family Tree View - Showing adoption and foster families.
Back to Individual