Husband is Female

Problem reports, Questions and Feedback report in here
mmmoya

Husband is Female

Postby mmmoya » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03:32

I am a very new user. When I entered my first three families, I accidentally entered the females as husbands and the males as wives. Now I have 108 individuals and 40 families and would rather not start over again. Is is possible to edit the three families without messing up the whole database.

I have used standard mode for all my data entries so far. When I toggle into Gedcom mode, it is not clear to me how to make changes since clicking on the words does not bring up an editing tool. Do I need to exit GenJ and use a text editor? If so, can I simply change HUSB to WIFE and WIFE to HUSB in each of the mistaken entries?

Thanks,
Mary

nmeier
Site Admin

Re: Husband is Female

Postby nmeier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 14:14:28

Hi Mary

you can find a "Family X|swap spouses" menu item in the context menu for a family. You'd have to work your way to all families in the editor (follow the FX entries) or simply open the table view and right-click on every family one by one. This action swaps husband for wife without affecting their gender.

40 clicks isn't too bad, eh? :)

Cheers
Nils

nmeier
Site Admin

Postby nmeier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 14:39:35

FYI I've also checked in some code that will show actions on multiple selected (here) families in the context menu. For your case that means you'll be able to select multiple families in table, right-click and then have all of them switch HUSB/WIFE

swap.png
swap.png (30.15 KiB) Viewed 720 times

It might be a little while before a new build is available though since this doesn't seem too pressing ...

mmmoya

Postby mmmoya » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10:46

Thank you so much for taking time to help a newbie.

Return to “Support - Feedback and Help in English”