Notes

Problem reports, Questions and Feedback report in here
John Varela

Notes

Postby John Varela » Wed Feb 09, 2011 0:04:49

I just upgraded to GJ 3.0.

In prior versions I wrote short biographies of many individuals and saved them as NOTES. The way to read the notes was somewhat obscure in v. 2, but it could be done.

In v. 3 the note display for an individual -- the click box next to the individual's number in the Edit view -- is a narrow box three lines long. Some of my notes run to over 100 80-character lines. That display is unusable. Also, I don't see how to add, edit, or delete a note. The HELP search function won't search on "note" because it is too common a word, so I don't know if there is any HELP for this function.

Is there some way to view a long note? Or should I convert them all to separate text files and associate the file with the individuals? (Then how would I delete the existing note? I hesitate to edit directly into the gedcom file since I don't necessarily know what I'm doing.)
John Varela

Daniel Durand

Re: Notes

Postby Daniel Durand » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:08:25

John Varela wrote:I just upgraded to GJ 3.0.

In prior versions I wrote short biographies of many individuals and saved them as NOTES. The way to read the notes was somewhat obscure in v. 2, but it could be done.

In v. 3 the note display for an individual -- the click box next to the individual's number in the Edit view -- is a narrow box three lines long.

curious, there are no limitations to the windows notes...
In the wiki, you'll find some help at
http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/en/manual/note

Have you installed just 3.0 ? It's better to install the last "unstable" (which is absolutly stable) version 3 v6652

Daniel Durand
Daniel Durand

John Varela

Postby John Varela » Wed Feb 09, 2011 18:37:40

Daniel Durand wrote:
John Varela wrote:I just upgraded to GJ 3.0.

In v. 3 the note display for an individual -- the click box next to the individual's number in the Edit view -- is a narrow box three lines long.

curious, there are no limitations to the windows notes...
In the wiki, you'll find some help at
http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/en/manual/note

Have you installed just 3.0 ? It's better to install the last "unstable" (which is absolutly stable) version 3 v6652

Daniel Durand

By "windows" do you mean the operating system? There is no apparent limit to the length of a note in a Mac either, as would be expected. However, if there is a way to read, edit, or delete a long note I haven't found it.

The wiki reference doesn't mention how to view the note. I have started to convert my notes into text files which I then attach to an individual. Having done that, I want to delete the note from the gedcom file but I don't know how, short of editing the file with a text editor.

I downloaded GenJ on 22 Jan 2011. That might have been the 2010-12-13 version, which the web site labels unstable. (What does "unstable" mean? I see that GenJ is buggy, but it hasn't crashed on me.) If the web site was labeling the 2010-12-13 version as unstable, I might have downloaded the 2010-03-17 version. I don't recall, and I don't see a version number anywhere. Should I be downloading the 2010-03-17 version just to make sure?
John Varela

Daniel Durand

Postby Daniel Durand » Sat Feb 12, 2011 17:40:01

John Varela wrote:
I downloaded GenJ on 22 Jan 2011. That might have been the 2010-12-13 version, which the web site labels unstable. (What does "unstable" mean? I see that GenJ is buggy, but it hasn't crashed on me.) If the web site was labeling the 2010-12-13 version as unstable, I might have downloaded the 2010-03-17 version. I don't recall, and I don't see a version number anywhere. Should I be downloading the 2010-03-17 version just to make sure?

The current version "unstable" in fact is very stable and not buggy.
You can see the version number as : go to menu "help" --> "about" --> the number is on the top fo the first tab .
Daniel Durand

Peter from Germany

Postby Peter from Germany » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:31:24

John

Did you try to increase the Note window (draw the corner with the mouse)?

Or open the note in the editor (e.g. via table view and the button 'Show Notes')?

Are your notes own records (so called level 0) or subordinate to the individual record?
You can see that in the editor in GEDCOM mode (the button with the green pencil).

Peter

Return to “Support - Feedback and Help in English”